13262538

We rent a three bedroomed house from a non profit housing association.

Customer Question

We rent a three bedroomed house from a non profit housing association. I live there, my adult son lives there and my daughter lives there, however we are being charged bedroom tax of £14.89 per week. I have provided all evidence to the housing benefit dept, and the housing association. they are ignoring me, what more can i do?
I will do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
I assume that you are making the Housing Benefit Claim in your own right and that you claim benefits for you and your daughter?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I am in receipt of child tax credit and child benefit in receipt of my daughter who is aged 18 and in full time education. I am making the housing benefit claim in my own right

That is the problem.
So far as your housing benefit claim is concerned they will only take account of you and your daughter - hence the "bedroom tax" applies.
I know this is not fair but sadly it is the way that the government wanted it.
You can speak to Shelter who are running a campaign on the issue
http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/housing_benefit_and_local_housing_allowance/changes_to_local_housing_allowance/bedroom_tax_from_april_2013
but I am afraid that what you are being paid is all that you will get
I appreciate this was not what you wished to hear - it is not what I wished to tell you, if you need clarification then please let me know
Claire