13262538

My ex partner moved to Canada, he pays regular child support

Customer Question

My ex partner moved to Canada, he pays regular child support payments but this hasn't increased in 8 years, he want more access, I am happy with this this if he visits his son in this country once in a while. Currently my son always travels there. He is now 15 but has had to travel alone since the age of 13. I am happy for my son's dad to see my son whenever but I feel there should be an anual increse in child support, bearing in mind it costs me around £200 to drive to the airport & back plus parking!
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
Is the Child Maintenance paid under a Court Order?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your response. No, it was an amount agreed between us over 10 years ago.
Then if you are not able to negotiate an increase directly with your ex you will have two options.
You can apply to the courts here in the UK to set a maintenance figure and if he refuses to pay it you can then apply to enforce the order using the Reciprocal arrangements detailed here
http://www.justice.gov.uk/protecting-the-vulnerable/official-solicitor
Alternatively you could actually apply in Canada - but that could be expensive since you would need to instruct Canadian lawyers to deal with it
I hope that this is of assistance to you - please ask if you need further clarification
Claire