12826847

My 13 year old son fell against a teachers car in school and

Customer Question

My 13 year old son fell against a teachers car in school and knocked the door mirror off. My son came home with a letter off the school saying he owes £100 for the repair. It was during school time and the headmaster has admitted that my son should not of been playing where he was. Am I liable

HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

There is a claim that they could make against you but it isn't very good.

They would have to show negligence on your part - essentially in that you failed to control your son. Given that he was not anywhere near you at the time and that he is 13 and so more autonomous than a much younger child it is likely to fail.

The law only demands that you do what is reasonable. You are not expected to be perfect.

They do have a much better claim against him but that would be pointless as a 13 year old generally has no means of paying the award.

Its not likely that anything would come of this.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.