How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70124
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If i want to obtain information from the DVLA that someone

Customer Question

If i want to obtain information from the DVLA that someone has made a maliciious accusation about me and in order to obtain that info i have been told i need a court order how do i apply for it and what is it called thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you answer tailored to your circumstances I will need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I want to find out from the DVLA who informed them that i was unsafe to drive since that allegation was made i have proved that i am safe to drive my suspicion it was my ex partner but she swears blind that it was not

This was done so in my opinion so i could not get to see my daughter as they live over an hours drive

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

I am sorry but there is no means of forcing them to hand over that information if they refuse to disclose.

If this is an anonymous allegation then they probably do not even know who gave that information. Anonymous allegations are exactly that designed to encourage reporting although often encouraging malicious claims as well.

Even where the identify of the alleger is known, they usually refuse to disclose upon data protection grounds.

You can make a freedom of information request for that information but they would probably refuse it on the basis that it would hinder law enforcement and also be damaging to the interests of another person.

If they intend to prosecute you on the basis of the allegation of this person then they would have to hand over the statement and reveal their identity or not rely on them at all.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks the DVLA told me they would give me info if i supplied a court order

I work as a driver and the damage of false accusations would have lost me my job if i could get the info i wanted to take it to court



Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Then they must know it.

You can make a freedom of information request and if they refuse complain to the Information Commissioner. That is free to do.

Alternatively you would have to seek a mandatory injunction forcing them to give you that information which is quite expensive to do. I dont' know whether you are willing to take that on?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions