12826847

What are my rights in the following scenerio. Customer goes

Customer Question

What are my rights in the following scenerio. Customer goes into a store and purchase some goods and pays by card. During the transaction the cashier accidently cancels the transaction which a warning does come up on the cashier's side of the till. Cashier does not notice warning. Customer is not aware that the transaction has failed and leaves. Two weeks later customer returns to store and store demands payment. Can store request or demand payment 2 weeks later? What are the customer's rights?
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I'm afraid the customer is under a duty to pay.

Come what may, the transaction failed and so the customer has not paid. Its not his fault, of course but thats no defence.

A purchasers a store is just a contract like any other. The store has to provide the goods and the customer has to pay. Otherwise either side are in breach. Its an innocent breach of course but its a breach nonetheless.

It would be the same of a cheque had bounced. The contract can still be enforced by the store.

Sorry if this is bad news.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does this still apply even if the cashier made a mistake. Is there any time length on reqeusting payment? I was approach 2 weeks later and no knowledge of this transaction failing. I was threatened by the store manager

Yes, it does I'm afraid. There's no defence in saying it was there mistake.

There is a time limit under the limitation act and its 6 years