Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Legal Advice Required Dear Legal Beagle, We have a house

Customer Question

Legal Advice Required

Dear Legal Beagle,

We have a house alarm in a property which we let. This alarm is supposed to be serviced annually. For the last two years the maintenance company has not serviced the alarm. in order to have the alarm serviced we are required to call them and organise the appointment. However, for the last two years we have not called and they have not serviced the alarm. However, they are chasing us for payment.

The tenants in the house do not use the alarm and the alarm is not connected to any central station for which there might be a monitoring charge.

My feeling is that since the maintenance company has not provided a service and have therefore incurred no loss we should not be liable to pay. The fee is 230 pounds.

We have now been sent a legal letter and I'm wondering how I should respond. Any help would be much appreciated.

All best wishes

Andrew McMorran
Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Josh-2010 :

Do you have a copy of the contract to hand or a link to their website please?

Customer :

LSG - London Security Group. http://www.thelondonsecuritygroup.co.uk. the firm we dealt with originally Xtal security - was taken over by LSG a few years ago. I will dig out the Ts & Cs that were sent to us the other day. these date from 2004 but we've never seen them before. we started with Xtal back in 1998.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks. If you would give me a few moments I will take a look.

Customer :

Many thanks. No problem. I'm afraid I cannot find the T&C doc that was sent the other day and nor can I find the original from 1998.

Josh-2010 :

Unfortunately there are no terms and conditions on the site that I can obviously see. I can either give you a answer based on general legal principles which will apply to the contract or if you are able to dig out the terms and conditions I can be rather more specific. Could you advise how you would like me to proceed?

Customer :

Sorry for delay. I shall try and dig out the T&Cs. It may take a while but I will contact when I have done so.

Josh-2010 :

No trouble. I shall be available most of the day tomorrow and later in the week. I look forward to hearing from you,