12826847

hi ive been asked to be a rent guarantor for a friend , now

Customer Question

hi ive been asked to be a rent guarantor for a friend , now i know in my mind if it goes wrong i can cover the rent for a year but im not sure about council tax and what would happen if she refused to move out after tenency had lapsed , she is employed and has been in her current home for 12 yrs and has paid the rent no problems but id like to cover all bases
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Your guarantee almost certainly is only for the first AST. I know that sometimes the deeds seek to tie you in for the length of time of the actual tenancy but that is not normally possible.

Also, it is unlikely that you are bound to cover the council tax. Of course, you may be. That would not normally be in the landlord's interests though and so is often not included.

If the tenant does stop paying and refuse to move though then you can always sue to take over the AST yourself but that doesn't really assist you if you are living elsewhere.

You do also have a claim against the tenant if you have to pay out upon a guarantee. If she is working then that is enforceable.

If you are worried about this though, then don't get involved. A guarantee is the most altruistic contract you can enter. You get nothing from it. Unless you are really sure then don't act as a guarantor.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you want more information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you

No problem.

All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.