Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

my insurance company is threatening to withdraw my cover which

Customer Question

my insurance company is threatening to withdraw my cover which will destroy my business as i need to use my car for my job . i phoned them yesterday and asked them to think again .they said they would e mail me yesterday but no response . i asked them to think again even if it meant i paid more premium or even increased my excess . i have had three accidents around the time and after renewal .i may or may not have declared one accident . i cant remember. i have been unwell and in hospital for several days . i will ring them again this morning and ask them to think again . bernard martin
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Why did they withdraw the cover? Was it because you didn't disclose an accident?

AJ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they are saying i didnt but i thought i did one accident occured around the renewal time in december

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i thought i did but it was around renewal time

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Is that the reason why they have refused renewal?

Essentially insurance companies have a very wide power to withdraw policies and change insurance arrangements that is because they are contracts of good faith.

If you haven't been treated fairly by the insurance company your best approach would be to complain to the Financial Ombudsman.

The problem is if you haven't reported an accident near to renewal that would be consider a breach of the good faith element of the insurance contract. You may be better off obtaining cover from else where as opposed to be refused cover from your existing provider as you would be expected to disclose that as well.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ