12826847

hi i have been trying for two years to get a motorcycle entitlement

hi i have been trying for two years to get a motorcycle entitlement put back on my licence,it seems to have not been put on during the transition of my paper licence to a photo licence. i never noticed it missing until a couple of years ago and when i inquired about it they sent me a letter telling me to send my licence back in so they can add the entitlement back on. in short now they are saying that they cannot find my pass certificate which was sent to them in the early 1980s and they are now asking me to prove my entitlement by asking if i have any old insurace certificates. this would be fine but i have not rode a motorcycle for 20 years until recently and have no other way of proving this as they keep the test certificates for passing tests. your advice would be much appreciated. thankyou , mr a marriott
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What exactly would you like to know?

perhaps I can be clearer.

Are you asking if you can appeal?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972 just asking what is the best action to take now

Is there anybody else who could confirm the entitlements?

Old employers maybe? Bike clubs etc?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
FOR JOMO1972 as i said i have not ridden for twenty years just started riding again recently
Actually don't worry. I can see what you are asking.

Thanks for the information.

This is actually quite commonplace. The DVLA have a habit of 'losing' people's entitlements that has been increasing recently.

You will find a very interesting series of letters on the point here

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/removal_of_entitlements_and_lack

I know the DVLA are telling people they delete after 10 years. That should be completely impossible.

Everything should be computerised at the DVLA and back up on a microfiche which should not ever be destroyed. Of course, that is an optimistic expectation. Sometimes the DVLA are jobsworths.

The place to start though is to send them a subject access request for any information they hold upon you. They should check the microfiche which might well resolve the matter. It may just be that the computers haven't been properly updated.

Realistically if you took your test in the 80s then the test centre is not likely to have a record now but its always worth checking.

It is also possible to appeal any decision of the DVLA to the local Magistrates Court which might assist you although its worth trying the options above first as they are free.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.