31090051

I posted a book worth £150 at a Post Office without insuring

Customer Question

I posted a book worth £150 at a Post Office without insuring it. It never arrived at its destination in England. After two letters and lengthy delays all I got was a cheque covering the postage cost.. Insured or not, have I not got the right to expect that they will look after my property and in failing to do so should I not be able to seek redress? In 'evidence' I can show the receipt for the book which I replaced at a cost of £150, A copy of the draft letter I sent with the book and a letter from the addressee confirming that I was intending to send the book to him for repair.....

I look forward to your reply........... Dushan Vitkovitch
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.

If you can prove negligence you can claim damages. If not you can't.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would my evidence and the evidence of the addressee be enough toprove negligence in a small claims court/

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do you think the 'evidence' I have stated in my letter to you justifies my going to a small claims court to claim negligence ?

Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Yes if you can prove the item was posted and the recipient can prove it wasn't received then its likely that the Royal Mail would seek to settle a small claim action for £150.