12826847

Hi, I was taken off Employment and Support Allowance after

Customer Question

Hi, I was taken off Employment and Support Allowance after 12 months. I appealed but was not aware, or made aware, that I could claim Job Seekers Allowance whilst the appeal process was going through. After 6 months I was still waiting for a decision so I contacted The Law Centre at Luton for advise and was told that, in the meantime, I should have been claiming Job Seekers Allowance. So I went to the Job Centre to sign on. There, a lady named Sue who was looking after me, made various phone calls before telling me that, under the circumstances, I should be able to have my claim backdated. She asked me to complete the JSA5 form and take it back to her which she forwarded on . Now, almost 3 months later, I have received a letter saying that I do not meet their criteria and they have told me to go on line and refer to Article 19 'Time for claiming benefit...' on www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/a1-550. I am totally confused and disappointed because the lady at the Job Centre had contacted the deparment to make sure before I filled in the form?. Regards, Louis
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you answer tailored to your circumstances I will need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

How can I help with this backclaim?