How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Stuart J Your Own Question

Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22618
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

Dear solicitor! We are about to leave our rented property

Customer Question

Dear solicitor!
We are about to leave our rented property on the 12th of June, we are moving to our new house on the 7th. Our landlord want to carry out a repair on the en- suite shower and wall beginning 3rd of June for nobody knows how long. This will be in the week we move out, that will be very busy for us week and at the same time we have 9 month old baby and 4 years old that we look after in the flat. We suggested that the date is inconvenient and wanted to change it for the 10th- we won't be in the property, there will be easier for the builders to do the repair, but all we got from the landlord was that they won't change the date. I'm so stressed! The problem we had with the leak in the shower is been going on for 2 years and now they are ready to fix it in the most inconvenient for us time. Is there anything we can do?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Do you have a specific question?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

You have not
asked a specific question but I will try to assist. I am happy to answer any
specific queries.

The landlord is
entitled to come into the property on reasonable notice (usually, at least 48
hours except in an emergency) to inspect the property and to do minor repairs
but not to do refurbishment which is what he appears to be doing if this is
going to cause major disruption and is more than simply fixing a leak.

So, whether he is
able to come into the property really depends on the extent of the work
required. If it is going to be a few hours, I think he has the right to do it.

If it is going to
be a couple of days, then in my opinion he does not.

However what he
has the right to do legally on what he will do all wants to do two totally
different things.

If he insists,
you are faced with simply refusing him access. If he tries to be forceful, call
the police.

If the landlord
were asking me the question I would tell him that he is on very dodgy ground with
this and that he should rearrange it for the sake of two days.

It really comes
down to how walk with the landlord is going to be and how much grief you want.

You can sell the
landlord that you have been advised that as this is not an emergency and is not
a simple repair, you are not obliged to give him access and he will have to
rearrange it until after you have gone.

If he feels
differently, he is faced with a court application.

Does that answer
the question.? Can I assist any further?

I am happy to
follow up any individual point you make

I am online and
off-line each day and most weekends at some stage

Please don't
forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want
to hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and
I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive
rating. It doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is
my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask. Thank you.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions