Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

My neighbour attached trellis to my house a number of years

Customer Question

My neighbour attached trellis to my house a number of years ago and I now wish it removed , is there time limit to when I can ask for it to be removed?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

How long has it been there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my neighbour states 5 years ago, we bought the house 3.5 years ago brand new from the developer.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

It has to be there for 20 years before he gains any rights, and even then it must be in place without consent. If the previous owner consented, the trellis owner never acquires any rights regardless.

It really is as
simple as that.

Does that answer
the question.? Can I assist any further?

I am happy to
follow up any individual point you make

I am online and
off-line each day and most weekends.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was
not what you want to hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep
your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer
a positive rating. It doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like
ebay), it is my livelihood!