12826847

Should my rented property have its own electricity meter, at

Customer Question

Should my rented property have its own electricity meter, at present it is in my landladies home and i am being presented with outrageous bills that are not from any electricity companies. Thankyou
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How did it come to be in her home?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972
Hi, regarding elactricity meter, i have no idea why the meter is in her property. She has 3 seperate meters, but cant remember which company supplies us. We have only been there 3mnths

Is this a flat in a block with the landlady maybe?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972 . They are two seperate properties. They are not attached in any way, hers is a very large old farmhouse, ours is a two bedroomed small cottage next door.

I am sorry for any delay you are experiencing. Unfortunately there are some bugs online and have been for a while. Its not something I have control over because the site is hosted in California and I am in London.

You do not have the right to the meter being inside your premises per se. However, you do have the right to demand that she isolates your usage.

If your usage is payable to the landlady then this is simply solved by just asking her to prove that the consumption is entirely down to you. There could be lost of explanations for this. If this is a pre paid meter then there could be a debt on it. It could be a joint meter in which case she will not be able to reliably estimate your usage.

I wouldn't suggest refusing to pay at all though. Its a good idea to pay roughly the sum you are likely to owe consistent with your consumption elsewhere. Then, if she does ever sue for the difference, the Court will think you have behaved impeccably.

its not likely you would ever be sued over this. Your consumption is not likely to be much higher than elsewhere.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.