Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

A former self employed employee has sent an email to individuals

Customer Question

A former self employed employee has sent an email to individuals accusing me of lying, having mental problems and losing the plot...these are the exact words. I believe this is libel/slander and has caused me stress and is a slur to my reputation. I wish to issue a writ against this individual. How do I proceed as a person in litigation
Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. YOu will have to draft papers yourself for initiating the action. Here, you will need help, either in the form of a precedent which you can copy or else by educating yourself to draft the papers yourself. Here I would recommend "Pleading without Tears" by William Rose, a book which will set out how to draft the papers. Additionally, you should seek out a defamation precedent from either one of the Central High Court registries or from a solicitor's or barrister's chambers. This will provide you with a guide as to what to draft.

Buachaill :

2. Then you issue the papers and serve them on the Defendant to the action. At this stage the legal action will have commenced and from then on you will have to issue motions if necessary to deal with issues arising in the action. However, be aware that defamation proceedings are quite technical and difficult, so I would advise you to get assistance from a lawyer who is familiar with defamation proceedings.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid