12826847

In 1953 my grandfather died intestate in the island of St.Vincent

Customer Question

In 1953 my grandfather died intestate in the island of St.Vincent which was a colony of Britain then. His wife, my grandmother, went to the appropriate government office and got a settlement to inherit the family home and some other farm lands, she died in 1975 and left a will leaving the family home to my mother who lived with her and my disabled aunt. My mother rebuilt the house into a 4 bedroomed brick build dwelling. She now lives in the US and in her nineties and wants to sell the house, a buyer was found but the lawyer dealing with the sale in St. Vincent, stopped it because he says ownership of the house is uncertain, my mother lived in the house since her childrenhood and this has upset her terrible. Could you please advice me (I have lived in the UK since 1966) about the law of ownership when someone dies intestate in the colonies then.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?