we are being accused of damaging property when we rented a

Customer Question

we are being accused of damaging property when we rented a house in the lakes back in April this year. There is no way we did what they are suggesting that we have. Where do we stand legally?

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Sorry for the delay overnight.

What damage are they alleging please?

Also, how quickly after you left was it found?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we vacated the property on April 13th approx 9.30 am. We received a letter from them on Friday 10th May. My husband left an email; phoned them again on the 11th, 12th and then the 18th and received no other response other than 'The manager is dealing with it.' We then received an email with photos attached yesterday. They are alleging stains to sofas, chips to glass table, damage to radiators and kitchen utensils. We are categorically denying that we have caused any of that damage. We left the house exactly as we found it.

I just need 10 mins to type out an answer if thats OK?

Thanks for the information.

Obviously nobody can guarantee that they will not act. If they took a deposit then they could make deductions from that. Also, they could sue for the cost of the damage.

You do have a defence and that is simply that you didn’t cause the damage. On the positive side, there was a substantial delay between the date that you left and the date they informed you at least. They may be saying that they found the damage much earlier but it seems surprising they didn’t write immediately.

The fact of delay suggests that the damage could have been caused by somebody else. If they had another tenant in the property after you left then realistically its game over from their point of view because they could not have let it in that condition.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.