UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

Dear Sir/madam, I overstayed my visitor visa in 2005 when

Customer Question

Dear Sir/madam,

I overstayed my visitor visa in 2005 when my explication was still within the home office. The reason I applied for extension was because I got pregnant and had miscarriage. I had a refusal. Because my husband and children are British, and today I am living alone with my 3 british children, I applied under the EEA law for the Zambrano case and I have been granted permission to work. But my situation is not solved because my 2 years old son does not have where to stay if I start working and I don't have right to benefits.

Can you please help me to prove to the ukba that I am destitute and they may allow me have access to public funds?
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Just to confirm you have been given discretionary leave to remain in the UK under Zambrano?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not been given dicretionary leave to remain yet. The only thing I have been given is the certificate of application under the derivative right of residence. I'm waiting for residence card but i have no right to the public funds. What can I do to be eligible to public funds? and How to apply for indefinite leave to remain as a mother of 3 british citizen?

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

In respect of obtain public funds, the home office have made it clear that anyone awaiting application. The Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) ruling on the case of Zambrano (C-34/09) provided that a non-European Economic Area (EEA) national who had been living and working in Belgium without a work permit, had a right to reside and to work so that his Belgian national children were not forced to leave the European Union (EU) and prevented from exercising their rights as EU citizens.

The Home Office are amending their regulations as a result. The Home Office regulations will provide a right to reside and a right to work to a non-EEA national who is a primary carer of a dependent British citizen only if the British citizen would otherwise be forced to leave the EEA and be deprived of exercising their rights as an EU citizen.

People who will have a Zambrano right will be entitled to claim contributory benefits such as contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, provided they meet the entitlement conditions for the benefit.

Under current legislation, most non-EEA nationals who have a right to reside and to work in the UK do not have an entitlement to claim income related benefits because their immigration status states that they have no recourse to public funds. To maintain this position, DWP will amend regulations so that an individual with a Zambrano right to reside will not have a right to claim income-related benefits.

The regulations for the following benefits will be amended: Income Support, income based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income related Employment and Support Allowance, State Pension Credit, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.

Therefore in your case it would be very difficult to obtain permission to have access to public funds. You would be given permission to work and the home office feels that because you have been given permission to work you should not be claiming benefits. In addition if you wish to apply for indefinite leave to remain you may do so once you have been in the UK for 10 years under zambrano.

please see following link in particular page 37 in respect of zambrano:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/IDIs/chp8-annex/partners.pdf?view=Binary

I am sorry of the advice given is not what you wanted but the fact is that the home office will not allow you to have access to public funds. The council can give these to you if they wish but it does seem like they are being very strict in allowing people benefits and in your case you are not eligible to claim benefits.

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively. If however, you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively, I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.