How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31300
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have another client who may need some help. The

Customer Question

Hi, I have another client who may need some help. The Guernsey Health & Safety people took him to Court recently for some minor infractions. He was advised by a local Law Firm to plead guilty as he would get a fine of around £2,000. He was actually fined £22,000 and there were some big articles in the local newspaper. His business has been damaged and much of the allegations are incorrect, evidence should have been challenged and was not and there is some mis-reporting in the paper. He would like to appeal against the verdict on the basis that evidence submitted was inappropriate (e.g. photos that would always show a bad picture and which do not truly represent reality) and the fine is excessive. I believe in the UK the maximum fine is £20,000. The main evidence relates to a dead mouse that was found in the roof space and little bit of mouse droppings that had not been swept up - not a great deal at all and nothing that would seriously put the health of diners at risk. I am thinking about bringing over H&S people from England to confirm everything is now ok and to take photos which will show the same as those given in evidence. I can then argue that the original photos were misleading and should be rendered inadmissible on appeal. What advice can you give. Is it worth arguing and do you think we will get a positive result from it? Please copy my email address with any reply:***@******.***. Regards, ***** *****

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I will wait. I will update my client who is keen to get an answer asap.



Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hello Paul,
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,

Related Law Questions