A person who lives up a lane from my street has 2 cars one

Customer Question

A person who lives up a lane from my street has 2 cars one which she drives every day and the other belongs to her boyfriend who is serving a custodial sentence in HMP.
The car belonging to her partner is parked right in front of my house. My wife and I use our car every day and we are both working paying taxes and we cannot even park at our own front door because of a criminal who is locked up serving time. Where is the justice ?

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I am sorry but if this is a public street then a person is free to park anywhere that does not either cause an obstruction of the actual highway or offend against any prohibitions.

It is neighbourly not to park outside a neighbour's front door but there is no obligation to leave a space in law.

If the car is taxed and insured and this is a public street then I'm afraid no action can taken over this however much it wouldn't hurt her to move it to avoid an argument.

I'm afraid some people are just unreasonable for the sake of it.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I all ready know the information that you have given. But does this still stand even though the person who owns the car is locked up in prison.
Yes, that makes no difference.

If the car is licensed and insured he can park it where he likes unless it offends against prohibitions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Both cars have just been taxed for 6 months ending 01.11.2013 because my next door neighbour reported it to the DVLA the wreck at my door is 15 years old a wreck and as far as insurance goes i very much doubt that there is any in place., how would i find that information out? Please advise.
They won't give you that information I'm afraid.

The DVLA will conduct checks upon insurance if its on public road but they won't tell you anything about it.

Even if its not insured, that won't mean he has to move it though. It will just mean there might be a prosecution for no insurance.

I suppose that it might be towed if it did not have insurance though.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so it's a catch 22 situation I. Can't find out if it is insured or not and besides there is nothing I can do about it any way. So therefore the guy in prison who you and me are paying tax for is stopping me a law a biding citizen from parking at my own front door.? Does council tax have any say in the matter after all they live up a lane in a council house and My block is all owned ? Please advise

I am sorry but the council will not have an interest in this. He is doing nothing unlawful.

I do understand your frustration but you do not have a right in the UK to a parking space outside your front door.