13262538

I splitt from my girlfriend about 15 months ago, we have a

Customer Question

I splitt from my girlfriend about 15 months ago, we have a little boy just over 2 and I had contact with him everyday and he stayed every other day. I have recently started seeing a new girlfriend and because of this she has stopped access, if I go to court will they respect the previous arrangement or will they just give me weekends?
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to assist you
The laws says that a child is entitled to regular contact with both parents - and the courts will enforce that.
The court would expect any new partner to be introduced gradually but it would only be a major problem if the new partner was known to be a risk to children
However the priority for the court will be establishing a stable pattern of contact - and I have to say that it is unlikely that staying alternate nights with each parent is unlikely to be seen as a stable pattern - although sharing the week in blocks may well be seen as reasonable.
You and your ex need to try and discuss matters using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) and you can also find assistance on the website here
http://theparentconnection.org.uk/?gclid=CLTrwa_hrLcCFbMQtAodU1YAWQ
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information
Claire