Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

I have being living in a rented property for 9 years, my name

Customer Question

I have being living in a rented property for 9 years, my name is XXXXX XXXXX so called lease. My partner moved in with me some 8.5 years. We are about to break up, she is insisting that because she has been here so long she is entitled to stay here and that I must leave. She owns 2 properties that she rents out. Can you advise please.
Keith Salmon
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Hi Do you have any children?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No children with this person. I've been devorced for 12years I have 2 children from that marriage grown up now.

In the absence of children and if the tenancy is in your name , she does not really have any right to occupy the property particularly if your occupation preceded the relationship and she has other properties. Theoretically a divorce court could order a transfer of the tenancy but if you are not married then she has no rights and you can ask her to leave