12826847

I AM ON BENAFITS WE SOLD OUR HOUSE MADE MADE £20,000 WE BROUGHT

Customer Question

I AM ON BENAFITS WE SOLD OUR HOUSE MADE MADE £20,000 WE BROUGHT SOME FURNITURE ETC AS I AM DISABLE WE LIVE IN DISABLE HOME RENTED OF THE COUNCIL THEY WONT HELP US TO WARDS THE RENT OR COUNCIL TAX UNLESS I SHOW PROOF WHAT I SPENT THE MONEY ON AFTER 5 YEARS I THOUGHT AFTER 5 YEARS YOU HAD TO KEEP PAPER WORK I HAVE SHOWN THEM ALL BANK STATMENTS TO PROOF THAT WE HAVE NO MONEY I HAVE PAID MY RENT BY CREDITS CARD WHICH I CAN NO LONGER DO AS I AM GETTING TO MUCH DEBT SO WE WELL BE TROWN OUT
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you answer tailored to your circumstances I will need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

How can I help with this claim?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

to find out how we stand

Thanks for the information.

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

I am really sorry but they are entitled to an account for this sum of money. £20,000 is a sum of money that would render you ineligible for a means tested benefit.

If you have spent £20,000 then their concern will be that you have deliberately dissipated these funds. They are entitled to satisfy themselves that you have not done so if you are to keep your benefits.

Its rather unfortunate that they waited so long before requesting this but its not a defence I'm afraid.

If its five years ago then you might be able to get it from your bank statements which will go back 6 years.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.