12826847

We have SGOs for 3 of our Grandchildren who were taken into

Customer Question

We have SGO's for 3 of our Grandchildren who were taken into Care & their parents were charged with Child cruelty. Two younger siblings have been put up for adoption - the Judge specified in the Case ( a Closed Court ) that the siblings should stay in contact but the Social Services Involved have been extremely difficult in keeping our 3 girls in Contact with their brother & sister. They previously were very close indeed & it's causing our girls a great deal of stress & upset at not being allowed to see them. They have only had one hours contact in the last 10 x months. They haven't done a Care Plan for them & are being generally very argumentative. The Area Manager of the IRO's has tried to help, as he is an acquaintance. We've had the girls for 2 x years since this happened. Please can you offer any advice?
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
How old are all the children and have the younger ones actually been placed yet?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Claire,

Yes the two younger siblings (aged 3 & 6 years old respectively) were placed Cyril was placed in January 2013 and Jasmine in March 2013. Our girls are aged 7 & half, 10 years old & 12 & half.

We were visited by Social Worker from the Post Adoptive Team yesterday. It was a very upsetting meeting - she basically told us we have no rights whatsoever but we are keeping the dialogue up in the hope that we get to visit Cyril at the beginning of July for an hour.

Do you know if the Adopters have agreed to an Open Adoption?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know that they are "committed" to keeping in contact with our girls? We haven't been party to any of the information about the Case & haven't had a copy of the Court Order or of the Care Plans - The Social Worker from Post Adoption Dept who came out to see us yesterday, wanted us to believe that we have "misinterpreted" what a Care Plan is. We have consulted the BAAF & understand it's a legal requirement we have copies & that the proposed meetings for the siblings are listed ....

I hope this answers your question? We live a two hour drive & it's been very difficult trying to obtain any information whatsoever about the Case.

Kind Regards,

Sarah x

When you refer to Care Plans which children are you referring to?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm referring to ALL of them - we are entitled to receive copies of all 5 children I understand? The lady from BAAF told us this is the case?

Thank you - Sarah x

Are you talking about the historic Care Plans for the older children when they were the subject of Care Proceedings?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No the Court Order Care Plans, when the Court Judgement took place, as I said in my initial question.

We have received the Court ones in today's post - & they are clear that the children should meet once or twice a year.

We have been told however, that we should receive Care Plans from the Social Services set up for "dates" when the children should meet? We haven't received these - they haven't been done!!

Just for clarity - was your SGO made as part of the Care Proceedings?
If so were you joined a party to those proceedings or did the Local Authority simply do the SGO report within a separate application that you made?
Claire