12826847

A friend of mine has recently been stopped by the police for

Customer Question

A friend of mine has recently been stopped by the police for driving without insurance and fined £200 and 6 penalty points. He was unaware that he did not have insurance as the bank had sent out a letter advising the standing order had not been paid which arrived on the day the police stopped him. The police officer witnessed him opening the letter from the bank. My friend had been employed for over 12 months at the same company, but the company were facing financial problems and had no paid employees for several weeks. The company repeatedly gave different dates when wages would be paid. My friend thought there were sufficient funds in his account and was unaware that payment had not been made into his account, therefore leaving insufficient funds to make the standing order. Does he have grounds to appeal against the penalty points given he has evidence that his employer failed to give the pay which was promised?

Remus2004 :

Remus2004 :

Thanks for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Remus2004 :

I am very sorry but its bad news.

Remus2004 :

In a nutshell, he does not for two main reasons.

Remus2004 :

Driving without insurance is an offence of strict liability. Either he was insured or he was not. He was not. It doesn't matter whether he knew he was not insured. Or even whether it was somebody else's fault. Unless he was insured, he is guilty.

Remus2004 :

Also, if he has already paid the fixed penalty fine there is no appeal. If you dispute a fixed penalty fine allegation then the method of appeal is to refuse to pay and invite them to summons.

Remus2004 :

He did the right thing by not doing so though because he would have been convicted at court and had to pay costs.

Remus2004 :

What was open to him was to make an application to the court not to endorse his licence on the basis that there were special reasons not to do so.

Remus2004 :

He absolutely did the right thing by not running it though. He would have lost. Magistrates are generally prosecution minded and they would have said that it was his responsibility to check that his insurance was paid for. I do realise that unrealistic but that is regularly a decision that they make.

Remus2004 :

The only time I've ever seen this type of application lead to a successful outcome is where insurance companies have cancelled in error or something similar to that.

Remus2004 :

Unfortunately thats not his position here.

Remus2004 :

Can you respond?

JACUSTOMER-f1t23cy2- :

Does he have any grounds to ask for the points not to be added to his licence due to the circumstances as if his employer had paid him as promised he would not have been in this position?

Remus2004 :

Only on the basis of special reasons which he would lose.

Remus2004 :

And not at this stage because he has paid the fixed penalty anyway.

JACUSTOMER-f1t23cy2- :

OK, sounds like he has no grounds whatsoever, thanks for the advice

Remus2004 :

Unfortunately most of the road traffic act is very unfair

Remus2004 :

And Magistrates generally are not defence minded at the best of times.

Remus2004 :

Thats not to say he doesn't have a complaint with his employer.

Remus2004 :

But not a challenge to the no insurance at this stage I'm afraid.

JACUSTOMER-f1t23cy2- :

Remus2004 :

No problem. Sorry it cannot be more positive. All the best

JACUSTOMER-f1t23cy2- :

Remus2004 :

No worries. Please remember to rate my answer.