Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I owned a wash and reach window cleaning van and integral system

I owned a wash and reach window cleaning van and integral system which I rented to my nephew (with a contract) The contact stated that he was responsible for the insurance (fully comp) of the van and system amongst the normal rental conditions. It was then subject to arson and written off. The insurance was through a broker who was aware that although my nephew was the Registered keeper I was the Owner, the insurance companies paid the claim monies direct to my nephew (not through the broker) even though the invoice for the van and system had my details as the purchaser - my nephew recieved 22K, he did not tell me and spent 11K on a second hand van and system and then said he had spent the remaining 11K. Has he commited fraud as he knowingly spent the insurance monies that should have come to me as the owner

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Firstly this is potentially fraudulent or more likely theft so you do have grounds to report him to the police;

Secondly you know he has a van and be owes you £22k. You could sue him in the County Court.

Do any of these options seem acceptable? I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ