12826847

If a council sells a debt (an unpaid parking ticket) to a collection

If a council sells a debt (an unpaid parking ticket) to a collection agency, do I have to pay it?
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Who is the issuer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

London borough of bromley

Has this gone to Northampton County Court for an order?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't know. The letter I received from the agent implies that it has, but there is nothing to say for certain that it went there.

You should have received correspondence about it. If you did not then you may have grounds for a statutory declaration on the point.

In any event though, it is certainly not safe to ignore a local Council fine. If this genuinely is a local Council fine then they do not just instruct debt collectors to hassle people. They will get an order at Northampton and instruct bailiffs.

This letter might be from bailiffs already. You must deal with it.

If you didn't receive anything then you may have grounds for a statutory declaration but you must act as soon as possible. Literally tomorrow morning would be advisable.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.