Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I have a legal aid question, When working out if I will get

Customer Question

I have a legal aid question, When working out if I will get legal aid can you tell me if I need to enter my wifes info. she does not work but gets child benefit and tax credits. The child benefit is in her name and the tax credits in both names but paid to her.
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Is this for criminal legal aid?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes for legal

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We also own our house, 80% owned and 20% mortgage If I was to up the amount I pay on my mortgage would that take my disposable income down to then allow me to get legal aid.

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hi Harry

For criminal legal aid, you do have to declare your wife's income (even if its child benefit and tax credits). You also have to declare the value of your house and details of the mortgage.

I can't say whether you'll get legal aid or not based on the information you've given I'm afraid - but you do have to give true information about your circumstances.