12826847

Can police search and seize property from my business if no

Customer Question

Can police search and seize property from my business if no crime or person is arrested
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They have acted on a warrant act 8 of search and seizure 1984,do not know why and wanted customer lists CCTV and phones.
We are plant nutrient company and hydroponic shop but feel harassed and discriminated

They are referring to S8 PACE 1984 which you'll find here

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/60/section/8

They can seek a warrant at any magistrates to enter and seize if the conditions in s8(1) are made out. Basically they have to satisfy a court that they have reasonable grounds to believe that an indictable offence has been committed and they will find material on the premises.

I do realise this is unpleasant for you and it might well all turn into nothing at all. However, if they have a warrant under s8 then they are lawfully able to act upon it.

Obviously I cannot say what the offence is. It might be nothing to do with you. Material evidence can be found on other premises than that of the offender.

It very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.

Let me know if you want to know anything else.