Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Theft

Customer Question

My mother is in an NHS Care Home with dementia. They have cut off her wedding ring and now can't find it. What should we do?

Ring was worth £6k 10 years ago
Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. You should sue for the value of the ring. Essentially, when the NHS Care home took the wedding ring off, they became bailees or safekeepers of the ring for your mother. So your mother is entitled to sue in law for the value of the ring back. Accordingly, you should speak with a lawyer and get proceedings issued on your mother's behalf.

Buachaill :

2. The value for which your mother can sue is the value today. Not the value 10 years ago.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid

Customer : the home are now saying they agree it must have been cut off but they don't know how.
Buachaill :

3. In order for the Care Home to be liable it is enough that they lost the ring. You do not have to show how it was lost. So your mother can successfully sue for the value today of the ring. However, because there is no evidence of who took it, the police will not treat it as theft or get involved in bringing criminal proceedings.

Buachaill :