Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

How do I apply to the court to adjourn the hearing pending

Customer Question

How do I apply to the court to adjourn the hearing pending information I've asked the claimant to provide in order for me to pay the debt they say I owe.

Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.

Max Lowry : Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question. Make the application on Form N244 and submit it to court with a fee for £80. Ask the court to deal with the matter on paper to save time and costs. You could also ask the court for a direction that the matter be listed for a hearing only after the other party has provided the information you require about the debt. Before you file the application into court contact the other side and tell them you are making an application to adjourn the hearing on the basis you are waiting for information and invite them to consent to the adjournment and confirmation it will provide the information requested by a certain date. If they consent to adjourn you still need to make the application to court but the court fee will be £40. Tell them that unless they consent to the adjournment you will ask the court to make an order for costs against them due their unreasonable position. If they refuse to consent send a copy of your correspondence exchanged with them to court with your application for the adjournment. This will show the court you have tried to be reasonable.