12826847

We live in a detached house built some 40 years ago and have

Customer Question

We live in a detached house built some 40 years ago and have our lawn in front of the house

by some peculiarity next door own a strip of our lawn about 3 foot wide on which there is a covenant stating it must be kept green

bythe same peculiarity we own a three foot strip of our neigbours on the other side.

ever since the houses were built this peculiarity has been ignored and the grass in front of the houses has been treated as our lawn

quite recently has claimed ownership of the strip in frot of and wants to extend his drive by laying concete slabs down his strip.His drive already accommodates four cars and they have ca in the home.

What rights do I have as far as the deed of covenant is concerned

Have I got any squatters rights as this has been treated as OUR LAWN for 40 yeaars

John M. Rogers
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

So, a 3ft strip of yr lawn belongs to next door but you have always used it?
The same applies to next door?
How does his use of that grass affect you and vice versa. Is it possible to attach or email me a sketch?