I had a contract for Health insurance for my company with AXA

Customer Question

I had a contract for Health insurance for my company with AXA PPP which finished on 1st June 2013 and we wrote telling them we did not wish to renew.

However, I was sold a policy with Universal Provident and was told that I could just stop paying this policy. When AXA would not cover my husband for a treatment which he required I stopped paying the monthly payments and informed them that I was refusing to pay because of this and the fact that they had previously refused to cover my daughter when she was undergoing treatment. They also refused to cover my grandchild when he required on-going treatment for his hearing.

I have been paying Universal Provident for the past three months but they refuse to cover us until they receive the certificates from AXA and AXA refuse to give them out until I pay up until the end of May. What is my position?
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

The position is that it sounds like Universal Provident have been so anxious to get the business that they haven't properly dealt with you and AXA relative to the transition between one company and another.

I transferred my own company's health policy from AXA to another provider this year so I do know something about this. You need to ensure that all premiums due to AXA are paid up to date so that they can provide the relevant certification to the new provide to ensure that the cover is seamless.

Given that the new provider has been taking a premium from you for three months I suspect from what you say that they were to sort all of this out and haven't. Either the new cover should not have been put in place until 1 June or the earlier AXA cover should have been cancelled and the premiums paid up to a particular point in time. It was never your intention that you should be paying two sets of premiums for the same period.

You should be taking this up with the person that arranged the switchover.

Happy to discuss further.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.