12826847

I was telephoned by a police officer and asked if I would go

Customer Question

I was telephoned by a police officer and asked if I would go to the station to answer some questions about letters being sent to an ex boyfriend . I attended and was interviewed under caution. The police said they didn't think I wrote the letters but were waithig for fingerprint and DNA results. (I did not write the letters). They then said they woyld either arrest me or eliminate me from the enquires based on these results. That was five weeks ago and I have not heard a thing eithr way, Is this normal practice or do the police inform you if you have been eliminated and there is no further action? I wasn't arrested.
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

That is fairly standard procedure. They didn't arrest you so couldn't give a specific bail date because you were not under arrest and so couldn't be bailed.

The reason for the delay is that they are having these letters examined forensically probably which is not a quick process. At least, the process itself is fairly fast but the backlog is horrendous.

They should ultimately inform you if they want you to return or summons you to court. Most officers would inform you if the matter has been decided in your favour. I suppose in principle they do not have to but most officers would.

If you don't hear anything though then its safe to presume there is no case.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What sort of time scale am I looking at?
It depends on the area but some of my forensic examination cases are taking over eight months.

If you didn't touch the correspondence though then there should be no link to them.