Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I am 76 divorced. My exwife and I jointly own a property in

Customer Question

I am 76 divorced. My exwife and I jointly own a property in which she has been living since the divorce 7 years ago. My ex wife continues to live in the property. I wish to obtain a second mortgage on the property to pay for my health bills. Is this possible without her consent?

XXXXX XXXXXe
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today.

If it is in joint names, she must sign the legal charge to the lender. She does need to agree. If she has no interest in what the extra money is for, she should be advised and the lender might insist ,that she is separately legally advised.

I guess that isnt the answer that you want. sorry

Does that answer the question?

I am happy to follow up any individual point you make.
I am online and off-line each day and most weekends so please bear with me if I do not come back to you within nanoseconds.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, you may compensate the Expert by rating their answer as satisfactory; however, if you still need help with your question, please feel free reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.