Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

I live with my mum, Im 17 years old in September 2013 and

Customer Question

I live with my mum, I'm 17 years old in September 2013 and after I finish school in 2 weeks, I want to go and live with my dad in the Caribbean. My dad says its ok to come and he will help me to get work experience. My mum says I can't go and she has taken my passport and hidden it.
My parents are married and are going through a divorce at the moment and my mum just wants to have a go at my dad by keeping me in England. I don't want to stay here, I want to live with my dad and my granddad in the Caribbean.
Can I go in July and can my mum stop me?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today.

At 16 you need parents consent, at 17 you dont.

Report passport issue to police and passport office.

Can I help further?