12826847

Angela My brother moved out to australia 18 mths ago , since

Customer Question

Angela
My brother moved out to australia 18 mths ago , since then his son was living with his ex partner, 6 weeks ago his son was taken into care . what can he do to apply for sole parental responsibilty with my brother living abroad ?
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first
How old is the child and why was the child taken into care?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi Claire

My newphew was 10 in may , he was taken in to care as his mother was giving him perscription pain killers , i do believe there is more to this but we can not get straight answers from the social workers or his other grandma who has him at moment . there is also the very low school attendance which has been mentioned , any advice would be usefull

thank you .

Angela

Is there any way that your brother can come to the UK (I am aware that there could be immigration issues involved)
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is wanting to come over but he will not be able to stay more than a couple of weeks, thats why im trying to get as much information as possible for him , he knows it could take up to a year if the social workers and court system have there way . but he dose nt want to cause his son any more stress and upset by just taking him either , |( not that his son has a passport )

Angela

Was your brother married to the child's mother or is he named on the birth certificate - of so which month and year was the child born in?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no he was not married to the mother and my brother is on the birth certificate and he was born in may of 2003.

Angela

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
i never got an answer to my question just more questions of the expert !
In that case your brother does not at present have Parental Responsibility for the child - but this is not a major problem - although it MAY make it more difficult to deal with Social Services.
Just to check - what contact did your brother have with the child before he left the country - and what contact has he had since?
Claire