29905560

My employer accepted my request for annual leave however due

Customer Question

My employer accepted my request for annual leave however due to another member of staff leaving without notice they have tried contacting me to return to work. I am not sure what to do as they are saying they ca dismiss me for this? My request for leave was submitted 2 weeks ago and is for four days in total and was still reflecting as accepted on the online booking system on Tuesday.

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?
JACUSTOMER-kpzy9a7m- : 1 year
JACUSTOMER-kpzy9a7m- : It was an apprenticship contract which is due to expire on 9th june
JACUSTOMER-kpzy9a7m- : Hello?
Ben Jones : Hello sorry I was offline by the time you had replied last night. If you have submitted your holiday request following the procedure required of you and the employer has formally accepted it, they cannot then force you not to take this holiday, unless there is a specific contractual right allowing them to do so. Once holiday has been granted then that is binding on both you and the employer and your employer can only really cancel that if your contract with them allows it. There is a legal right for the employer to reject a holiday request before it has been granted but nothing that says they have this right once the request has been granted. Therefore, if they try and dismiss you because of this the dismissal could potentially be unfair.
Ben Jones :

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating - your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you