Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

Hello During the first instance of wearing them, and after

Customer Question

During the first instance of wearing them, and after a few hours of normal wear, a pair of leather sandals I bought from 'All Saints' took small sections of skin away from the upper surface of the skin on each foot, causing significant discomfort and cosmetic damage

I've taken photos of the damage caused to my skin and still have the sandals and the receipt as proof of purchase

What are my rights and could I be entitled to any form of compensation ?

Julian saul
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Is there actually a defect in them?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, no defect, theyre as good as new, however ive owned and worn plenty of leather sandals over the years and this has never happened before

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

In which case I am sorry to say that unless there is defect that you could show to a judge you have no claim in negligence which will succeed in court.

Even if there was a defect, the value of the claim wouldn’t make it worthwhile going to court and you could be castigated by a judge for wasting courts time over what seems to be a minor incident. Indeed he could even award costs against you even if you won.

To be frank, I would simply return them to the shop and ask for my money back, or if the maker (who has no legal liability as that rests with the shop) will deal, send them back to the maker.

I appreciate that this isn’t the answer that you wanted but there is no point in me misleading you.

Does that answer the question?

Can I help further?

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want to hear).
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. I
t doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I completely appreciate your honesty as it saves me from wasting my time

all the best

Julian

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Glad to assist.

I just wish it was more positive

If you have any future questions for me, put my name at the top of the thread, other experts will email me to tell me that you are waiting.
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time.

Take care.

LD