my sister has contacted me through email to ask for money.

Customer Question

my sister has contacted me through email to ask for money. She is claiming that she is depressed and I am responsable for her unhappyness due to past incidents when we were young. We were a very close family growing up, our mum suffered from sever depression which had an effect on all of us. I am 10 years older than my sister and have little memory of what she is saying. To me it was comfort not sexual and i remember about 10 times over a period of a coupleof years. We were always clothed and it never went past touching. She often started it there were times when I walked away from her. I know it was wrong now. At the time however i did not.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this?

I would keep that email if I were you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not know what to do. I have saved the email, however i am very worried, where do I stand legally ? We wer both young and I was very nieve and young for my age. It was not sexual, however she is implying all sorts of things. This happened over 25 years ago

When you say it was not sexual, does this involve intimate touching?

How old would she have been roughly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

niether of us can remember the ages that we were. My guess is she was primary school age and I was under 16. I can remember an old tv in my room (which I shares with my brothers) given to me by a friend from school.

Touching and she touched me down below. I never forced her to do anything. Nothing else

I'm really sorry but I cannot give you any good news.

Unfortunately that is an offence. If this involves intimate touching then that is sexual I'm afraid. Realistically you are not going to find a jury who will agree that touching of the genitals even over clothing is anything other than sexual.

If you were over 10 then you are over the age of criminal responsibility. Unfortunately since she was under 16 consent is no defence.

Obviously she may or may not make a report. Sometimes people do not. If she does then it will have to be investigated and since you will make admissions if you comment its a classic no comment case for the purposes of police interview.

In terms of money, its a very difficult situation. Obviously depending on the nature of the email, asking you for money may amount to blackmail but the problem is that you have committed offences so you cannot safely report that. She is very unlikely to sue you. It would be costly and she has to get past limitation which is against her.

If you do pay then it could be used as an admission.

I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.