Is it legal to check vehicle speeds without the drivers knowing

Customer Question

Is it legal to check vehicle speeds without the drivers knowing in order to approach the council and police to better regulate speding vehicles. I have invested in a radar speed gun that can be clamped in a tree on the edge of my private property and left permanently on. In my driveway at right angles to the flow of the traffic I plan to place a large speed sign which will be remotely linked to the radar speed gun. The speed of each vehicle, time and date wil be logged down with a side view photograph taken (no number plates showing - only the type of vehicle, colour etc). The plan will be to utilise this method at different times and days for 30 minute and 60 minute periods and possibly longer if some local communities want to monitor speed for a whole day etc.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Is there any reason you think it might not be legal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not really - I am just concerned that possibly the police might view it as taking the law into ones own hands! I could just do with something in writing should for any reason they stop by when speed recording is in progress. What is your expertise that appertains to this field / question?

What are you hoping to achieve? Are you hoping to just record speeds for your own purposes or to record speeds that can be relied upon to base prosecution.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is very little chance of Joe Public being able to bring about speeding prosecutions unless the police are involved. I thought this was clear in my previous submissions. I am trying to achieve these two main aims:-

1. To obtain evidence (without drivers knowing) of their speeds and types of vehicle to use to try and make the police carry out more speed checks with prosecutions. If drivers know there is a speed check they slow down and it does not give a true picture.

2. To obtain evidence to show the planners why an entrance to a private dwelling needs moving further away from a blind bend.

3. This entrance in addition is used by slow moving tractors and long trailers at cropping time which is a further issue.

My contact details below:-

Alex XXXXXXX t/a Wood Farm

Email: [email protected]

(please advise by phone below of an Email sending to ensure I am aware of the same)

(strictly no voice mail or text messages – just keep trying until I am reached personally)

I'm not allowed to make contact with you directly under the rules of this site

In any event though, I've decided to opt out of this question as I can see that my information requests are annoying you.