12826847

Hello. Ins. company was ulster bank, taken over by aviva.

Customer Question

Hello.
Ins. company was ulster bank, taken over by aviva. We had phone contract with ulster and now present company say we are covered for all items in garage which was recently burgled. We understood ALL items stored there were covered especially as it always locked. We were sure everything was covered with ulster bank.....that was condition under which we incepted the policy. Can you please advise where we now stand!
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Law,

Do we have any sort of case? We were under the impression that the contents of our garage were fully insured.......

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Assuming that the old policy did indeed cover all the contents originally, have they ever written saying that the garage contents were no longer covered/varying the policy?
You need to be ceratin that the old policy did that. Are u 100% sure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No they have not - we need to know if an outboard engine was covered - they say no, and we say yes as we origionally took out cover for ALL garage contents!

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Can you say categorically
absolutely 100% that the outboard motor was covered on the original policy?

How much is it worth?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we were let to believe that all contents of the garage were covered, that was the understanding that led us take that policy! Value of 3500 euros.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

That doesn't answer the question. Do you mean that is what you were told when you took the policy out and haven't since been told differently.

If so, who told you that? Do you have it in writing?

Have you checked the UB terms and conditions and policy and policy schedule?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we have not been told differently......one company took over another and we expected our cover to remain the same. We did receive schedule but we dont remember being aware of any changes in cover.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

That still doesn't answer the question.

1. Do you mean that is what you were told when you took the original UB policy out?
  2. If so, who told you that?
  3. Do you have it in writing?
  4. Have you checked the UB terms and conditions and policy and policy schedule?