13262538

I have two sons 22 years and 19 years. Their non-resident

Customer Question

I have two sons 22 years and 19 years. Their non-resident father sends £200 per month to the youngest son who is studying in Cambridge. The older son who has a brain tumour and consequentially severe epilepsy is studying Speech and Drama in a private college. As a teacher I put my sons through private education without any extra help with school fees from their father. I was made redundant in August 2012 and struggle financially now being underemployed. I would like my ex-husband to recognise his oldest son's achievements (he is just finishing his second year of a three year course) by helping him financially. I am carrying his living accomodation costs alone of £100 per week. Is there any way I could get him to pay half of this, which I think is fair as my oldest son is not in a position to get a loan himself. His college is not recognised by the government yet. My ex lives in Berlin, Germany.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but need some further information first.
Are both your son's at college in the Uk and where did you last live together as a family?
Which country do you live in?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Both my sons are at College in the UK. We lived together as a family in Germany where my sons were born. I returned to the UK in 1997 with my then young sons. My ex-husband is German and he divorced me in 2005. I had had a court case in Germany where they allowed me to return to the UK with my sons. I now live in England. My sons return to me in the vacation times from their respective Colleges.

In that case whilst you cannot make any applications at all your sons can make applications to the Courts in the UK under Schedule 1 of the Children Act for maintenance whilst they are in full time education
The orders that they obtain can be enforce in Germany using the Reciprocal Enforcement system here
http://www.justice.gov.uk/protecting-the-vulnerable/official-solicitor
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information
Claire