12826847

I have been stopped for speeding @ 68 in a 50 on the A3. The

Customer Question

I have been stopped for speeding @ 68 in a 50 on the A3. The policeman had a speed gun and recorded my speed as 68. It was dark and he did not show me the speed, just stated that's what it was. He also stated that I was unlucky as the car before me, the one I was about to overtake was doing 65. My question is, how can a speed gun take two readings of two cars almost simultaneously ? Does it bounce from one car to the next ? I have signed the statutory docs at roadside, did not give driving licence, do I have any case to pursue at court ?
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Are you saying you were not speeding?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I believed I was doing in the 50's but I signed the statutory docs to say I would surrender licence in 7 days and pay fine of £60 within 28 days. I did not see the speed gun to verify speed and I found it very odd that the speed gun could take 2 readings from cars simultaneously, I would have thought that he would have to reset his gun ?

I am really sorry but this is not likely to be a good point.

Obviously there are challenges that can be brought to the use of handheld laser guns but not that would succeed here unless, of course, there is a further challenge that it not immediately apparent.

There's no need to reset laser guns between vehicles. As long as the red dot visible to the operator aligns with the target number plate the speed of the vehicle can be measured.

Its always possible to bring a reliability challenge to the use of a laser gun but I would not expect this to succeed I'm afraid.

Sorry if this is bad news but I have to give you truthful information.

Can I help further?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your feedback. I should have contested the speed at the time as I feed that I have been duped as I don't think he had taken my speed, otherwise he'd have made it clear. I'll pay and move on.

You can still refuse the FPN and wait to see if they summons you.

You haven't accepted anything at this stage.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Could I get more than 3 pts penalty @ court if I receive summons ?

You could get 4-6 points and a higher fine.

Its the risk that you take if you want to go to court I'm afraid.

Sometimes they do forget to summons though.