12826847

Help, having a major distressing problem with a timeshare company.

Customer Question

Help, having a major distressing problem with a timeshare company. In June 2005 my husband and I were on a bonus break in Teneriffe. We had no choice but to attend the presentation which went on forever with the usual hard sell technique. Sadly my husband was convinced of the value of buying. We had been sold the package with the idea that we would be able to resell in six months and make a tidy profit. My husband had just retired and this sounded good to him. So we signed and bought four separate weeks at their two resorts. Two at Hollywood Mirage and two at Beverly Hills Club, paying £10716 in total. Of course within the year we realised we had been fooled because the weeks did not sell. We felt foolish but decided to make the most of it. We joined the points system of RCI and at most managed five separate weeks holiday since 2005. Clearly with the maintenance costs and RCI costs it was never great value for our hard earned money. In 2007 we decided to stop the maintenance fee on one of the Beverly Hills weeks and we were informed that the committee would dispose of the cancelled week and any fund generated from the cancelled week would be used to cover what they considered the outstanding dept. This we accepted and then had three weeks left . We continued to pay the maintenance on these weeks until this year - they were due in January 2013. Since then I have had a lot of correspondence with them. The problem is my husband was diagnosed at the age of 67 with terminal cancer last year so could not travel anywhere. Sadly he died in April. I have written to both resorts and explained the situation and have said that I want nothing back from them, they can keep whatever money is realised from the sale of these weeks, explaining that I am unable to travel alone and therefore I would be spending the best part of £1000 annually for nothing. Clearly as a widow I cannot afford this. They are now threatening me with their lawyers. As you will appreciate this is stressing me completely. Can you tell me what my position legally is and what I can do about the situation.
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Is there an exit programme on your timeshare?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
I have been asked to look at this.

Will they accept back the timeshare at all? Have they ever done it to your knowledge?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They have so far refused to accept back the timeshare although they did repossess one week back in 2007 when we said four weeks were too much for us.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So far they are refusing to accept back the three separate weeks despite the fact that I want no recompense. They did accept one week back in 2007 when we refused to continue to maintain four weeks.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

So you are
willing to walk away from this and lose your £10,000?

Have you told them that your husband has since sadly passed away?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I told them first of all about my husband's terminal illness and then his subsequent death.

Yes I am willing to loose my £10000 and I have made that clear to them.

I need the stress to stop.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I am going to opt out of this for another expert to consider.
Please do not reply or it comes back into my inbox. Another expert will pick it
up at some stage. It is now open to all experts.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I apologise for any delay but we are currently having some site issues, which we are working to sort out as quickly as possible.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.