How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34278
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Mr XXXX XXXX of Oreston, Plymouth...

Customer Question

Mr XXXX XXXX XXXX of XXX XXXX XXXX, Plymouth, PL9 7LE is working 6 evenings a week and has been since November 2012. He works at the XXXX XXXX in Radford Park Road, Plymouth, PL9 9DG. This was reported in February this year when he was in Court for something else. In a statement to the Court, he confirmed he was employed. He also claims he cannot afford to pay CSA for two children he has, as he does not work! He is either committing benefit fraud, or he has perjured himself in Court! What can be done about this?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first
Are you the person who should be in receipt of CSA payments?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No - the person who should be in receipt of CSA payments is my daughter.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Then she should write to the CSA and ask for a re-assessment using the report as evidence that he has income that he has not disclosed
This is the only option open to her I am afraid.
I hope that this is of assistance to you but please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My daughter has already telephoned the CSA on numerous occasions to let them know he is working, and is sending the report to them (which she has just received from her solicitor). My daughter is very disheartened as she has not had anything for years. The last time she almost received a CSA payment her then husband quit his job saying it was due to stress as his father had died. His father has re-married and living in Thailand! He is a full time liar and is getting away with "cheating the system"! I am writing to you because I pay my taxes and I thought people committing benefit fraud and the like, should be stopped.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
The first rule is never deal with the CSA on the telephone - they are appalling and say one thing one time and another the next.
She should write and ask for an assessment based on the fact that his lifestyle does not reflect his declared income.
Unless you have separate proof that he is receiving state benefits then I am afraid he is not committing benefit fraud - he is just avoiding his responsibilities as a father