12826847

I recently moved into a new apartment that I am renting. One

Customer Question

I recently moved into a new apartment that I am renting.

One month after I moved into the apartment major building works started on the property. The building works are extremely noisy are going to be lasting for many months. Scaffolding has been erected around the property meaning that builders are going to be looking in through the property windows on a daily basis making it impossible for me to enjoy the property. The balcony which is the best feature of the property is no longer accessible as builders are working on it. The building vibrates with the building works. And blue netting that has been put up around the property means I no longer enjoy natural daylight.

I would not have moved into this property if I had known about these long-planned building works. To make matters worse I have been told that the landlord has known these major building works have been planned for 12 months BEFORE I moved in. The landlord has admitted he knew a bout the works and has offered a 20% discount in rent.

I am not satisfied with the 20% discount however the landlord has threatened to take me to court if I move out of the property.

I have 2 questions for you:

1. What is the legal situation with the landlord? Should he have declared these building works to me? Can I break the contract and move out because I find it impossible to live here and the building works are affecting its true rental value.

2. What is the legal situation regarding the Estate Agents who represented the landlord and gave me the property viewings and now keep a management fee from the rent I pay the landlord. They claim to not have known about these long planned building works (I don't believe them). I have paid them agency fees before I moved into the property which they are refusing to return to me. Therefore if I move out I now have to pay a new estate agency fees all over again. Are the estate agents liable in any way?
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What type of contract do you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A 2 year contract with a 6 month break clause

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Apologies for any delay in response. We are having some site issues which we are working to fix as soon as possible - we do appreciate your patience.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.