Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

when a project manager as an aggrement to project manage a

Customer Question

when a project manager as an aggrement to project manage a building job and then pulls out is there a legal terminology for it. Basically this guy agreed to help me deal with the main builder who done a nightmere job. This project manager aggred to help me with getting this builder to repair all the work done in the proper way. we meeting the builder on a couple of times and I thought great we are going to get this house finished. However it was agreed that the builder would start on the 27th of june to finish the works but the project manager does not want to asnswer my calls, emails, messages, I am now I left in a even worse position I was before i meet the project manager. he has left me in the shit and its just not on. This project manager should have not got involved if he could not do the job. 

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Alex Hughes :

Did you have a written contract with the project manager? Was he going to do the work as favour or did you agree payment?

JACUSTOMER-tinybq69- :

we agreed to pay him €300 per day

JACUSTOMER-tinybq69- :

he said it would take 5 day to make sure this builder did the job correctly

JACUSTOMER-tinybq69- :

i have many emails from the project managers meetings with the builder

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike

Its breach of contract.

If the PM has agreed to do some work in return for a fee then, in simple terms, a contract has been concluded between the two of you.

You could enforce your rights through the Courts either by making the PM complete the work he agreed to do (specific performance) or seek compensation for your losses (damages).

The best things to do is e-mail or fax the PM reminding him of the terms of your agreement. You can also state that if he fails to keep to his side of the agreement you will enforce your rights through the Court and seek compensation. On receipt the PM will either agree to do the work or not. If not, you will have to think about taking legal action against him.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi alex,

the thing is he just does not answer my emails phone calls, despite the PM getting an agreement way back in April from the builder that he would fix the poor work his company did. i have been asking the PM to get a schedule of works from the builder before he comes to the site which should be 27th June. This is so important that we get a firm comment that the builder is going to the job correctly and confirm all the items. could you help with a short letter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Alex,

So like I said, I meet two guys last year in France one is English called Mark and the other guy called Jimmy who is French.

Jimmy is the one that knows building very well and he installed a good heating system for me in the house in January 2013. I was very happy with his work

While he was working at the house i was explaining to him my problems with the windows and Mr Martin, he said Martin was completely taking the piss and he would help have a meeting with Martin and talk with him for me

So we went to Martins office in January and Jimmy spoke with Martin and explained his work was not good and he had to fix the works. So we were very happy and Jimmy agreed to become the project manager for me, but would charge me @300 per day to and deal with Martin, Vassuer and the window Guy. This is so expensive but I had no choice to agree to his ridiculous fee because i want to finish the house correctly and have someone that is experienced like Jimmy. Jimmy sent me an email to agree his fee and I agreed.

Jimmy went to Mr Martin on the 6th February again to agree the works Mr Martin must finish and correct and Martin agreed to do the works, So from the 6th February to the 6th of March I did not here from Jimmy because he said he is busy delaying Martin to finishing the works that he agreed to do. On the 9th of April Jimmy writes to me saying:

So from the 6th February to the 9th April Jimmy DID NOT CONTACT Mr Martin leaving me in the shit. So me and Steve my cousin went to Jimmy's house in France on the 21st April, to talk with Him to explain that he agreed to project manage the problems I have with the French artisans, and why has he delayed things. So I explain TO Jimmy why did he get involved from the beginning if he did not have time because he has put me in even more shit, so he agrees to continue and help me.

Jimmy went to see Martin again 24th April and Martin agrees to start work on the 26th/27th June 2013. This is great news and i have to wait, however Jimmy has been promising me a schedule of works from Martin as its important that Martin agrees to every job he must do correctly, so I am calling Jimmy and Mark , email and text them and they are avoiding me and not returning my many messages, this is making me so pissed because all i am asking is to be organised and make sure Martin does his job correctly to a schedule of works, I understand Jimmy is busy but to just ignore me when he knows the problems I have had in France completely wrong.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike

If the PM is not responding it might be worthwhile getting a solicitor to write to him.

If he does not keep to his promise you will have to sue him, I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can you help with a short letter

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately we are not allowed to draft letters as this is a Q&A forum.

However if you draft something I am happy to look over it for you.

Please do remember to rate the answers given so far.

Ali
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for using our service. Please remember to rate my answer. I am happy to answer follow up questions for free.