Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I am retired having spent a career in industry rising from

Customer Question

I am retired having spent a career in industry rising from apprenticeship to Ceo of two companies within a public quoted group of companies. I would very much like to become a magistrate. Although unqualified I have a son and daughter in law who are both qualified solicitors.

Could I do the job ? I am really interested, being employed in the peoples industry all my working career has given me a good insight into the University of life.
Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Josh-2010 :

May I ask your age please?

JACUSTOMER-vgnt2ok3- :

My age is 75 born 1.7.37. Solihull Warwickshire.

Josh-2010 :

Josh-2010 :

No formal qualifications are necessary to be a magistrate. However need to be between 18 and 65 to apply to apply to be a magistrate unfortunately .

Josh-2010 :

Magistrates are usually expected to retire at around 70

Josh-2010 :

You may wish to contact your local advisory panel to see if there is any exception that can be made in your case though the above are the normal requirements.

Josh-2010 :

You can find your local advisory group on the following link and details of vacancies in your area.

Josh-2010 :

http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/courts/magistrates-advisory-committees.pdf

Josh-2010 :

The advisory committees advise on magistrate appointments in the area. Subject as above, it’s unlikely you’ll be taken on as a magistrate if you’ve been found guilty of a serious crime or a number of minor offences. It is also unlikely if you’re bankrupt. Providing you are "of good character the courts welcome applications from lay people of all backgrounds.

Josh-2010 :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?