How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vincent2013 Your Own Question
Vincent2013, JustAnswer Expert
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 213
Experience:  Qualified solicitor and barrister (non-practising) with 7+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vincent2013 is online now

helloI have rented an apartment in London, at £770 per week,

Customer Question

I have rented an apartment in London, at £770 per week, so a high price rental. When I viewed the flat there was a bad smell in the entrance and in the actual flat. The agent explained that this was newly cleaned/damp carpets on the stairs and in the entrance. I paid upfront 6 months rent as I was quite desperate to find a short term rental and that was the request from agent. I am now living in a flat which has a constant damp smell. The smell in the entrance is unbearable. There is a damp patch in one of the bedrooms which has been covered up but is obvious close up. The flow of water is close to a drip from bathroom taps. The sash window has a broken sash so when its opened it stays open for a while and then crashes closed. In the first week of tenancy the bulb on the landing wore out. The landlady does not respond to my emails regarding this and her handyman says he will come along and fix stuff if I pay him. I have put down £4000 deposit and paid over £20,000 upfront.
I know that the previous tenant was very disgruntled and angry and I am beginning to understand why.
Please advise
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vincent2013 replied 4 years ago.

vincent2013 :


JACUSTOMER-xrb1qg83- :


JACUSTOMER-xrb1qg83- :

I you emailed me saying you had answered my question. I do not see an answer?

Expert:  Vincent2013 replied 4 years ago.
Apologies for this, I am trying to answer your question but the chat page keeps disconnecting. Are you able to see read this whilst the chat format is doen. If so, I will use this system.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am a little confused as i received an email that you had answered question. I have not seen an answer from you

Expert:  Vincent2013 replied 4 years ago.

I apologise for that. Unfortunately it's an automated system and appears to have registered my abridges greeting 'Hi' as an answe.r Please ignore the email and obviously don't rate that answer! Instead, let's start again. My name's Greg.

First, I assume you are on an assured shorthold tenancy - is that correct? Also, do you know if your property ius managed by the agent?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I dont know what an assured shorthold tenancy is? The property is managed by an agent.

Expert:  Vincent2013 replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. An assured shorthold is the most common form of residential tenancy in the UK. Usually the phrase 'assured shorthold tenancy agreement' is written on the front page of the document (but it doesn't have to be). In essence, if you are renting as an individual, for less than three years and the landlord has the right to possession at the end of the term, it is likely to be an AST.

If the property is managed by the agent can I just check with you what the agent's response to these issues has been. Has he simply put you in direct contact with the landlady and washed his hands of it? Ordinarily, where the property is managed, the agent will deal with property maintenance issues without direct contact being required between the landlord and tenant. It seems very unusual for you to be in a position where the landlady's handyman is asking you to pay for work.